Monday, October 20, 2014

Classical Conversations Cycle 3

We are on week 6 for Cycle 3. This is our first year doing Classical Conversations.  We have tried out two communities and really liked one in our area.  We may join a community next year.  Before making that big commitment I decided to give the curriculum a try for a year.  I am quite frugal, so I purchased a 3rd edition book (4th is what is currently used) I got it for half the price from Amazon. I did purchase the CD's for cycle 3.  Huge Help!  I really like them as I can play them in the mornings, for the Week review of all subjects and I bring them with us if we are driving on a school day.  I like to use the 'subject' CD to review the work on that specific subject day.
While we did not join a CC community, we did join a co-op in our area which gives the kids a chance to 'go' to school and have different 'fun' classes one day a week.
So far I really like CC, I am learning with my kids and so is hubby.  I bought large index cards and write out the subject reviews and put them up on the board. I made pockets by cutting document protectors in half.  I can take them out and hand them to my daughter while she copies the memory sentences.  If I want her to do them in cursive, I write them out again for her so she has a cursive example.
Monday is History Day and I try to incorporate a Five In A Row (FIAR) book that corresponds to the history portion.  Tuesday is Geography day plus Latin and English review.  Wednesday is Art. Thursday is Co-Op Day.  Friday is Science and Science Activity Day.  I try to do Presentations on Fridays as well.
We also do Reading and Math U See Daily.  Rosetta Stone Spanish once a week.  Bible Quiz twice a week and AWANA review weekly.
I find that it is Easier to keep a Routine than a Strict Schedule.
I think we are having fun so far! All of my kids are learning a lot and having fun doing it.